Boys Varsity Water Polo Wins First Game of the Season Against Homestead

Emily Neumann, Senior Staff Writer

The boys varsity water polo team kicks off their season with a stellar start, crushing the Homestead Mustangs 19-7 to secure the league win. 

They started off strong, with Senior Captain Jack Haney setting the pace by stealing the ball from the Mustangs during their first possession. Haney tossed it up to Sophomore Grant Jauregui, who slammed it into the back of the cage, scoring the first goal of the season.

“It’s great to be back,” Haney said.

The first goal was followed by many others, Haney leading the pack as the top scorer. He dominated, scoring 3 of his 4 goals facing away from the cage with his backhand, the ball swishing into the net over the unexpectant goalie. 

However, Haney didn’t defeat the Mustangs alone. The team worked together, effortlessly adjusting to the coaching directions of new head coach, Bob Greene. 

“I think we played pretty well. We came together and played as a team, as one unit. It was really a team effort,” Jauregui said.

Greene was very impressed with the team’s performance, hoping the win can translate into momentum for future games to come.

“I was really proud of the guys, how they started out hard, went really fast, and put a lot of pressure on Homestead. I had faith in them and everyone played really really well,” Greene said.

The Vikings face their next opponent Los Altos, on Tuesday where they’re looking to bring the same energy they had against Homestead and continue their winning streak.

“It’s nice to get my first win here at Paly, first league win. We’re off to a good start. It’s going to be an exciting season,” Greene said.