Girls’ water polo defeats Wilcox 8-5

On a cold wet Thursday night, the Lady Vikes took to the pool against league rival Wilcox High School. Tess Van Hulsen(’14) led the way for the Vikings scoring four goals in the team’s 8-4 win.

Wilcox came off to a hot start, scoring in the opening minute. Wilcox had many more opportunities to score in the first quarter but key saves by goaltender Abby Bromberg (’13) kept the Vikings in the game. However a costly penalty on Bromberg lead to a 5 meter penalty shot goal. The Lady Vikes had few offensive drives and trailed 2-0 at the half.

In the second half, the Vikings began to gain momentum. Van Hulsen initiated the Vikings’ offense scoring on a fast break counter attack. Twenty seconds later Van Hulsen scored again on a 2 on 1 breakaway to tie up that game at 2-2. However Wilcox responded shortly after reclaiming the lead, 3-2.

The Lady Vikes offense continued to pour on as captain Abbey Kinnaman (’13) scored a long range goal to tie up the game. Quitterie Collignon (’13) had another opportunity on the next counter attack but missed the net by inches. Kinnaman kept up the Vikings’ drive and scored her second goal of the game to give the Vikes the lead.

Wilcox’ defense continued to struggle as Van Hulsen dumped off a pass to Collignon who scored from long range. The Lady Vikes led 5-3 at the end of 3rd quarter.

Wilcox responded scoring another goal with 5:43 remaining. Twenty seconds later Collignon attempted another shot that tipped off the Wilcox defender and reached the back of the net for her second goal of the evening to put the Vikes up 6-4.

Van Hulsen scored two more goals in the remaining minutes to seal the victory for the Lady Vikes. Van Hulsen was satisfied with the team’s victory.

“I was motivated to work hard during the game because I hate losing,” Van Hulsen said. “We really played well as a team, we communicated and manipulated our strengths to win the game.”

Head coach Spencer Dornin was pleased about his team’s performance.

“We came out slow but we picked it up in the second half,” Said Dornin.  “On the defensive end, our decision making is much better than at the start of our season.”

The Vikings will take on Lynbrook next Tuesday at 6:45p.m.