Paly girls lacrosse loses 10-3 to Mountain View
Avery RellerApril 25, 2024
Girls lacrosse fall to Los Gatos 13-5 tonight
Eliza Gaither, Creative Director • April 24, 2024
Photo courtesy of Celeste Bates
Paly Baseball Defeats Gunn 11-3
Tyler Martin, Online Editor-in-Chief • April 20, 2024

NHL lockout drags on with no end in sight

Alexander Ovechkin plays in the KHL for his home town in Moscow, Russia. Many NHL players are playing overseas due to the recent lockout.

After the National Hockey League (NHL) collective bargaining agreement expired the full season is in jeopardy due to a stalemate between the owners and players.

The NHL owners declared a lockout on Sept. 15, after a collective bargaining agreement could not be reached with the National Hockey League Player’s Association (NHLPA).

The season was scheduled to start Oct. 11 and the NHL has already canceled all games through Nov. 30, ending any potential chance for a full 82 game season. Some of the issues for the owners and NHLPA include the players’ guaranteed share of 57 percent of hockey related revenues, limits on contracts, elimination of salary arbitration and the change of free agency rules.

This is the fourth NHL lockout in less than 20 years, which is the most of any United States sport. With no talks between the owners and NHLPA scheduled in the next few weeks, it appears as if there is no urgency to get the season underway. With the way things are progressing, it appears that this labor dispute could be similar to the 2004-2005 lockout, which resulted in the cancellation of the entire season. This was the first time a full season was wiped out due to a labor dispute in all of North American professional sports and the first time a Stanley Cup wasn’t awarded in 93 years.

Many hockey fans are frustrated with the NHL’s unfortunate past history of long-lasting lockouts. Big time San Jose Sharks fan and Paly student Jared Schwartz (‘14) expressed his concerns with the NHL.

“The NHL is hurting themselves jeopardizing the fan base with this needless lockout,” Schwartz said. “I just want to watch the San Jose Sharks win the Stanley Cup.”

Many popular NHL players are looking for alternative leagues, clubs and organizations during the lockout, including some who are taking their talents overseas to play in Europe. Washington Capitals captain Alexander Ovechkin, a two-time MVP, has returned to his former Russian team, Dynamo Moscow.

Reigning NHL MVP Evgeni Malkin has also committed to play for a team in Russia and Boston Bruins captain Zdeno Chara has also moved on to play for a Kontinental Hockey League (KHL) team in the Czech Republic.

Others have signed in leagues in Switzerland, Sweden, Germany and Great Britain. Similar to the NBA lockout last year, players want to play and if a lockout is taking place, they do not hesitate to turn to other leagues overseas. During the 2004-2005 NHL lockout, almost 400 players left to play in 19 different European leagues.

With the 2012-2013 lockout shaping up to be similar to the 2004-2005 lockout, this cannot be a good sign for the NHL. If the owners and the NHLPA fail to reach an agreement soon, the season very well may be abolished altogether and if that happens, nobody wins.