Wrestling suffers 48-22 loss on senior night – The Viking Magazine
MENU

Wrestling suffers 48-22 loss on senior night

Kevin+Schumacher+%2815%27%29+grabs+one+shoulder+of+his+opponent+in+attempt+to+throw+him+to+the+floor.+Schumacher+lost+his+match+and+Wilcox+earned+three+more+points.+
Kevin Schumacher (15') grabs one shoulder of his opponent in attempt to throw him to the floor. Schumacher lost his match and Wilcox earned three more points.

Katie Foug and Alys Olmstead

Paly fell to Willcox 48-22 on their senior night, adding another loss to their record to make it 1-3.

Josh Deckelman (’14) committed one of Paly’s two pins earning Paly its first six points of the match. Chioke Bryant (’15) earned the other pin which extended the Vikings early lead.

Before Bryant’s match Kevin Schumacher (’15) earned the Vikings four points making the score 10-6.

Following Bryants pin the Vikings had to forfeit two matches of the 220 and 285 pound weight classes due to a lack of qualified Paly wrestlers. This gave Wilcox 12 additional points to put them in the lead 25-16.

Two freshman then competed in the smallest weight classes 106, and 115, both of whom suffered pins giving Wilcox another 12 points and extending their lead to 37-16. The Vikings final points came from freshman Seth Goyal (’17) and team captain James Giaccia (’15).

“I think we did really good” Deckelman said. James and Seth both did really well, everybody else wrestled pretty hard and i’m pretty proud.”

Overall Coach Duran was happy with his team’s improving performance.

“We’re wrestling better,  [Wilcox is] a very good team they are ranked 6th in the section. We had a lot of freshmen wrestling seniors again,” Duran said. “We’re getting a little bit tougher, it takes time, but those little freshman aren’t little freshman anymore.”

The Vikings will compete next Thursday at Monta Vista, and the ladies will compete again next Saturday for CCS at Oak Grove High School.

About the Writers
Katie Foug, Photo Editor

Katie Foug is now a senior and is on the varsity cross country, soccer and track and field team at Paly.

Alys Olmstead, Editor-in-Chief, Design Editor

Alys Olmstead is a senior. This is her third year on The Viking. She enjoys making posters with puns to cheer on Paly athletes and convincing her staff writers to bring her coffee.