Girls’ Softball beats Santa Clara 3-1

Girls’ Softball beats Santa Clara 3-1

Mara Zenger, Staff Writer

Paly girls’ softball started off the game strong as Mackenzie Glassford (‘17) struck out the first player at bat, and Santa Clara was not able to get any players on base in the first inning. Glassford continued Paly’s strong start making it to second base. Sophie Frick (‘18) then made it to second base as Glassford scored Paly’s first run of the game. The first inning ended with Paly in the lead, 1-0.

No runs were scored in the second, third, fourth, or fifth innings, but in the fourth inning Maggie Renteria (‘17) made all three outs.

In the sixth inning Paly made a double play getting players out at first and third. Glassford then made it to third, followed by Renteria bunting the ball and getting to second. Frick then made it to first, and both Renteria and Glassford ran home. The sixth inning ended with Paly in the lead, 3-0.

The seventh inning ended with Santa Clara trying to comeback. They scored one run, but it wasn’t enough to win the game, as Paly won 3-1.

After the team’s great game, Renteria commented on the team’s performance.

“I think that we killed it today. The only thing I think we really need to work on is getting over the nervousness that we had at the beginning, because after that we were on point,” Renteria said.

Coach Brooke Binkley also commented on the team’s performance.

“For their first game they played exceptionally well. They just need to be a little more aggressive in the batter’s box, but other than that I think it’s going to be a great season,” Binkley said.
Paly plays again on Thursday and will look to continue winning as they play against Mercy High School at 3:30 at Paly.