Baseball defeats Los Altos 4-2

Matan Ziv, Senior Staff Writer

The Palo Alto High School Vikings Baseball team defeated Los Altos High School 4-2 in a strong showing on Wednesday afternoon.

The Vikings were tied at two with Los Altos heading into the bottom of the sixth inning. Aidan Berger (‘21) came up to the plate and smacked in the go ahead run with a single.

Spencer Rojahn (‘18) was the starting pitcher for the Vikings, allowing two earned runs on three hits in four and two-thirds innings pitched for the Vikings. However, James Roake (‘18) was the winning pitcher for the Vikings, throwing two and a third shutout innings and allowing just two hits.

The Vikings’ leadoff hitter, Niko Lillios (‘18), had a great game going two for three on the day.

Starting second baseman, Max Jung-Goldberg (‘18) did not record a single at bat to continue a year where opposing pitchers are extremely cautious in pitching to the USD commit. Jung-Goldberg was walked twice and had a sac-fly on another at bat.

“I wasn’t feeling any pitches, but then I was throwing my change-up and my curveball and it got me going,” Roake said.

“I was looking fastball and adjusting to curveball,” Berger said about his mindset before the RBI in the sixth. “I saw the curve coming and drove it up the middle.”