STUNT Season Preview

Abbie Karel, Staff Writer

After a successful competition season, the Paly Cheerleading team is now transitioning into a new sports season, called STUNT. 

STUNT is a Title IX category sport and is a newly evolved version of cheerleading, which demonstrates the progression in the demanding athletic abilities within the art of stunting. 

The Paly STUNT team will travel to high schools throughout the bay area to compete in hour-long tournaments with routines they had been preparing a week in advance. This is Paly’s third year participating in STUNT season.

“The team is excited to participate in such a cool sports season this year, its such a change from the previous [competition] season,” Captain, Natalie Karel said. 

The sport was introduced to Paly athletics during the Covid-19 pandemic season. When Covid-19 mandates said it was safe, The Paly cheerleading team finished off the virtual year strong by being able to participate in a few outdoor tournaments. 

“It was an odd start to a sport [STUNT], coming out of the pandemic, but I’m glad that we have continued to be able to participate in the sport post-pandemic, and I’m excited to see how the sport [STUNT] grows as more athletes participate,” Karel said. 

At the beginning of the season, the cheerleading team holds team tryouts again to recruit new athletes. 

STUNT is one of the fastest-growing female sports since its first year competing in high schools in 2014. Due to the sport’s rules, it is a female participant-exclusive sport.

Unlike the previous competition season, STUNT competes in tournaments against one other team, rather than against a whole division of teams.

Because STUNT is a dangerous sport since people are being thrown in the air at fast speeds and heights, athletes are taught methods of safe practice to avoid injuries while stunting, and to ensure the safety of each individual as they progress in level and difficulty. 

One of these said practices the athletes learn during tryouts is how to safely catch a flyer when a STUNT does not hit correctly. Coach, Lea Santini amplifies the need for these practices,

“It is especially important when training new athletes to practice safe practice methods because just like any other sport, STUNT has its own set of risks and dangers, but by implementing safety measures we can avoid these risks to the best of our abilities,” Santini said.

The team is looking forward to the upcoming season, with many returning members and new athletes joining the team.
“One of our goals going into STUNT season is to advance our level of routines from last year, and I think if we all put our best foot forward, we are more than capable of making that happen.” Sophomore, Ella Kogelnik said. 

After a triumphant end to the competition season, the team has confidence that STUNT will continue to build the team’s skills and will end in more victories for the Paly STUNT team.