The Healing Game
The Healing Game
Beau Revenaugh and Carter BurnettMarch 28, 2024
Gridiron Gaming
Gridiron Gaming
Lucas Tung and Tyler CheungMarch 28, 2024
Dunking On Stereotypes
Dunking On Stereotypes
Dylan Robinson, Max Merkel, Tyler Martin, and Grace GormleyMarch 28, 2024

Softball loses its lead and falls to Santa Clara

The Paly softball team (0-5, 2-7) took the field against Santa Clara High School (1-3, 3-5) this afternoon, hoping to get a league win under their belt, but fell short, losing to the Bruins by a final score of 6-2.

The Lady Vikes started out strong, not letting up any runs during the top of the first inning, and putting up runs during the bottom of the inning. A single by second baseman Hannah Bundy (‘14) put her on base with two outs when shortstop Maya Padilla (‘13) came up to the plate. Padilla’s double brought Bundy home, and the Vikings went into the second inning with a 1-0 lead.

With two consecutive outs at first, a walk, and a strikeout by starting pitcher Casey Glassford (‘15), Paly went into the bottom of the second. A leadoff triple by center outfielder Anna Rizza (‘13) gave the Vikings a good start. Right outfielder Shannon Fee (‘14) got out at first, but brought Rizza home, extending the Viking’s lead by a run. The Vikes were unable to bring home any more runners, ending the second inning with a 2-0 lead.

During the top of the third, the Vikes were able to get two quick outs, but a bunt put a runner at first. Another bunt advanced that runner to third and the hitter to first. A line drive single knocked in the runner from third for Santa Clara, leaving Paly ahead by only one run and with the ball loose at home, the runners on first and second base advanced to second and third. A walk by Glassford loaded the bases for the Bruins and a single brought two runners home. A pitcher change for the Vikings brought Julia Saul (‘14) to the mound, and the Lady Vikes got their final out. Scoreless in the bottom of the third, Paly went into the fourth inning down by a run with a score of 3-2 to Santa Clara.

After a scoreless fourth inning, the Vikings went onto the fifth. With one out and two consecutive singles, a Santa Clara Bruin hit a double, bringing in a runner. Two more consecutive singles knocked in another Bruin. Though Paly got an out at first, a runner from third ran home, increasing Santa Clara’s lead by another run. Both teams remained scoreless for the rest of the game, leaving Paly to lose 6-2.

The Lady Vikes will face Monta Vista High School away on Thursday March 28 at 4:00 p.m.