Lucas TungApril 15, 2024
The Hidden MVPs
The Hidden MVPs
Jason Hu and Ben LevavApril 11, 2024

23-24 Wrestling Season Recap

Overall, the team had a very successful season, sending 11 wrestlers to Northern Regionals, and three to the CIF state championships.
Nick Quiroz (’24). Photo by Celeste Bates.

Paly wrestling finished their season with the CIF state championships on February 22. Three Paly wrestlers made it to states, senior EJ Harris (150 lbs), sophomore James Otuhiva (113 lbs) and freshman Brian Miller (120 lbs).

“Brian and James are the first underclassmen to qualify for the state tournament in the program’s history,” senior Caiden Soltesz said.

This was not the only first for the team, as the boys placed third at CCS, the highest finish in program history. Additionally, Paly had a record seven wrestlers in the finals of the SCVAL league championship. In all, 11 wrestlers qualified for the Northern Regional.

Overall, this season marks a very successful season for both the boys and girls. Despite seniors such as Jesse Slafsky, Caiden Soltesz, EJ Harris, Nick Quiroz all graduating, the team is still very young. Not only did this young team have a very successful season, but they will continue to be successful.

“It’s a different level of competition out there but now that I got a taste I’m ready and I’m hungry to come back and get a state medal,” sophomore James Otuhiva said.

The vikings move on out of the season wishing the seniors good luck on their post-wrestling endeavors, and a pat on the back for each athlete for their diligence and hard work.