Track and Field Season Recap
Track and Field Season Recap
Tyler Frick and Evin SteeleMay 23, 2024
The softball team gathers in their dugout between innings on their senior night last Thursday. Photo by Grace Gormley.
Softball Season Recap
Trey CollinsMay 23, 2024
Courtesy of Harry Sherlock
Shadows Over Glory: Manchester City's Premier League Title Amidst Allegations
Ben Levav, Staff Writer • May 23, 2024

Paly Baseball fell short to Wilcox 3-1 on Friday

%28Left+to+right%29+%0ACormac+White+%2824%29%2C+Charlie+Bates+%2824%29%2C+Joe+Kessler+%2825%29%2C+William+Hickey+%2825%29+
Celeste Bates
(Left to right) Cormac White (24′), Charlie Bates (24′), Joe Kessler (25′), William Hickey (25′)

After a well-fought game, Paly Baseball suffered a tough loss to Wilcox, bringing their league season to a close. After an exciting 3-0 win against Wilcox on Wednesday, with a no-hitter from junior Henry Harding, Paly was not able to keep up the momentum going into Friday’s game.

“We were pretty amped up for the game because we would have won league with a win on Friday,” senior Nate Donaker said.

Despite high stakes and high hopes, Wilcox jumped on them early. Paly struggled with control at the mound in the first inning, surrending an early 2-0 lead for Wilcox.

“Vinnie Braga (24′) was having trouble throwing strikes to start the game and ended up getting pulled,  but Nate Donaker (24′) did a great job of coming in and putting out the fire,” sophomore Carter Bader said.

In the second inning, Paly retaliated with a single run, but Wilcox was able to match them, bringing the score to 3-1. The rest of the game Paly struggled to ramp up the intensity, as the offense remained stagnant throughout.

“Overall the team energy could’ve been better, as we were a little flat,” Bader said. “Throughout the whole game we couldn’t really get the bats going.”

After this matchup, Paly finishes 3rd in league with a 10-4 record. Despite the disappointing result in their season finale, the Vikings quickly shift focus to CCS playoffs. The team hopes to reflect on this performance and use it to come out strong. Paly faces Sacred Heart Cathedral on Saturday as their first game of playoffs.

“It was a really brutal loss but we’ll come out better on our CCS opener on Saturday,” Donaker said.