Boy’s Soccer Defeats Mountain View, 2-0

Zach Phillips, Staff Writer

The Palo Alto High School varsity boys soccer team beat the Mountain View Spartans 2-0 in an overwhelming match this afternoon.

Excited fans braved the tough, rainy conditions and packed the stands after school on Wednesday for a game against crosstown rival Mountain View.

The Vikings started strong, taking a commanding 2-0 lead (which they would hold for the remainder of the game) just 13 minutes into the match. The first goal, from junior Eric Aboytes, came after a successful counter-attack, and senior Valter Levander scored the second goal not long after. These quick, successful offensive plays would not set the tone for the rest of the game.

The second half was a much different story. The Vikings showed their defensive prowess, preventing the Mountain View offense from gaining any meaningful momentum. The Vikings also capitalized on Spartan sloppiness with a series of key steals and slide tackles. This game was a testament to the cliché that defense does, indeed, win championships. While the ball remained within Spartan territory through much of the second half, no goals were scored.

It was clear that the Vikings benefitted from a much deeper squad than the Spartans, more dangerous players, and a home-field advantage (despite the uncooperative weather). The Vikings were further aided by a strong counter-attacking game and a stout defense.

Sophomore goalie Jackson Druker made a series of key saves during the final minutes of the game.

“We expected more of a challenge from the Spartans, but it seems like the poor weather, and our defense, allowed us to pull out a significant victory,” Drucker said.

The Palo Alto boys team heads to practice tomorrow with clear goals.

“Our offense stood up today, but it is clear that we need to work on our communication if we want to go far into the playoffs,” Drucker said.

The boys are aiming to continue their winning streak, with their next game at Los Altos on January 31 at 3:30 pm.