Paly girls lacrosse loses 10-3 to Mountain View
Avery RellerApril 25, 2024
Girls lacrosse fall to Los Gatos 13-5 tonight
Eliza Gaither, Creative Director • April 24, 2024
Photo courtesy of Celeste Bates
Paly Baseball Defeats Gunn 11-3
Tyler Martin, Online Editor-in-Chief • April 20, 2024

Swim Dog, Swim!

When I look at my dog Bebe, we have nothing in common. She looks up at me with her puppy eyes, but I’ve seen cuter. To say I’m not an animal person would be an understatement. It’s not that I have a problem with them, I just refuse to stop my routine to give her a daily dose of rubs and kisses.
When we first got Bebe I decided to put a little effort in – I took her on occasional walks and fed her when I remembered. I just didn’t feel the spark, we couldn’t relate to each other – and then I thought a little harder.
My dog hates water. Not drinking water, but being in water.  She gasps for air while I wash her, making my life a little more difficult than it has to be. It is the downside of both of our day, but it’s better than a smelly dog around the house.
I used to think Bebe should just suck it up and stop being a baby. But what if I was thrown into a pool everyday? Whether I could take the stairs slowly down into the water or be pushed in, it wouldn’t matter – I would hate that water.
Sitting on the sideline of the girls water polo game against Gunn, I started asking questions.
Watching some swimmers run, they just look like a fish out of water and I can’t help but laugh. Maybe it’s funny then but if the roles were switched and I was drowning in a pool, my few gasps of air would not be laughter.
Freshman P.E., seventh period when the sun was gleaming off the water,  I still refused to get in the pool. I may have been the most consistent student ever when it came to forgetting my swim suit.  Even now, when people ask me to go swimming I dabble in the shallow water and end up claiming I can’t swim. I can swim, just not very well.
“Water polo is a combination of soccer and a little bit of basketball,” the athletic trainer, Josh Goldstein said.
I play soccer. I think my sport is hard enough. If water was added into the equation I wouldn’t last a minute. So my question is, why don’t the water polo players get a little more credit?
A highly debated question in the athletic community for decades has been which sport is the hardest? We have heard that according to physics the hardest thing to do is accurately hit a ball with a round bat, or that soccer players have to run a lot for an extended amount of time. It seems as though water sports are often times looked past. Water polo combines soccer and a touch of basketball with a whole other factor working against them: The water. Many people argue that their sport is the hardest, well, everyone needs to take a step back and pay respect where respect is due.