Girls Volleyball Beats Homestead In 3 Sets

Ryan Chang & Max Jung-Goldberg, Video Editor & Staff Writers

The lady Vikes continue to dominate as they sweep Homestead in three sets on Tuesday at Gunn High School.  

After an exciting first set where the Vikings ended up winning 28-26, they then took control of the match winning set two 25-19 and set three 25-16.  Coach Jekara Wilson was pleased with how her team stayed under control after a close first set.  

“The first game was a little tight,” Wilson said.  “But I’m proud of them that they were able to pull through and they get the win.  And I thought the next two sets they were pretty calm and collected and did a good job closing it out.”

Isabella Marcus (‘18) had nine kills, including five in the second set along with three blocks that all came in the third.  Marcus talked about how communication was a key in helping the team secure the victory.

“I think our communication has gotten a lot better,” Marcus said.  “In that past game we started out really slow and we had too many errors.  Towards the end we picked it up and we started talking a lot more.”

Cassie Fong (‘17) had seven kills, three aces, and one block in the victory.  Fong talked about how maintaining good energy throughout the match is something they are looking to build on.

“I think our energy can start off better at the start and continue to stay consistent,” Fong said.

The volleyball looks to stay on a role in its next matchups in the Pleasanton Tournament on Saturday, September 26.