Paly girls lacrosse loses 10-3 to Mountain View
Avery RellerApril 25, 2024
Girls lacrosse fall to Los Gatos 13-5 tonight
Eliza Gaither, Creative Director • April 24, 2024

Girls’ basketball stages comeback, defeats Wilcox, 47-46

The Palo Alto Vikings girls’ basketball team defeated the Wilcox chargers 47-46 in their second meeting of the season.
With a tip off by Josie Butler (‘13), the Vikings drove towards the basket, but the ball was rebounded by Josetta Fatuesi who scored a layup giving the Chargers a 2-0 lead. A Wilcox foul against Stephanie Allen (‘13) gave Allen two free throws to tie up the game at 2 all.
The Chargers were able to capitalize on Viking turnovers, to give them a 11-2 lead over the Vikings  with under six minutes left in the half. A three pointer by Lindsay Black (‘12) closed the gap for the Vikings to 5-11. However, a layup followed by two free throws allowed the Chargers to increase their lead to 15-5.
With just over two minutes left in the first quarter, the Vikings called a timeout. Coming out of the break, a three pointer and a layup by Allen as well as a basket by Abby Strong (‘15), closed the gap to just three points.
Wilcox started out the second quarter with two quick baskets to bring their lead to 17-12. With some aggressive defense and offensive drives, Black landed a three closing the gap to 15-17. However, the Chargers kept putting up the points and with four minutes left the Chargers had a solid lead of nine points. With a steal and a basket from Allen, the Vikings still trailed by seven at the end of the half with a score of 29-21.
A series of fouls and missed baskets proved costly for the Vikings in the second half and the Chargers were able to increase their lead to 35-21 with just under three minutes in the third quarter. A basket by Strong followed by a free throw closed the gap, but the Wilcox chargers continued to fight and the third quarter ended with a 16 point Charger lead of 45-29.
With just over five minutes left in the final quarter, Emily Osagiede (‘12) stole the ball and put up two points for the Vikings to bring the score to 31-45. With a Wilcox foul and another steal by Osagiede, the Vikings added three more points to bring the score to 34-45 with three minutes left in the game.

Lindsay Black ('12) shoots a free throw.

After a timeout, the Vikings came out strong with a few defensive rebounds and another quick four points by Osagiede. The Vikings continued to fight, and with a layup by Allen, the deficit stood at five.

Despite a Viking foul, a rebound by Osagiede on the missed, second shot was followed by a lay-up.

After a Charger foul, Osagiede was given two free throws which she swished to tie up the game at 46-46 with just 25 seconds left. With twenty seconds left in the game, Fatuesi received her fifth foul of the night against Osagiede.

Osagiede stepped up to the line and after missing the first free throw, sunk the second to give the Vikings a one point lead with just three seconds left. The Lady Vikes proceeded to win the game 47-46 to stay in contention for the top league spot.

Coach Peters was extremely proud of his girls’ performance, especially in the fourth quarter.

“This was probably one of the greatest comebacks since I’ve been at Palo Alto and it means so much since its over first place,” Peters said.

The Vikings play again, against Los Gatos on Feb. 10.