The Healing Game
The Healing Game
Beau Revenaugh and Carter BurnettMarch 28, 2024
Gridiron Gaming
Gridiron Gaming
Lucas Tung and Tyler CheungMarch 28, 2024
Dunking On Stereotypes
Dunking On Stereotypes
Dylan Robinson, Max Merkel, Tyler Martin, and Grace GormleyMarch 28, 2024

Boys’ water polo breaks five year losing streak to Los Altos

Ethan Look (14) shot blocks a Los Altos player. The Vikings won 9-5.
Maddie Kinnaman
Ethan Look (’14) shot blocks a Los Altos player. The Vikings won 9-5.

The Vikings dominated  the Los Altos Eagles at home on Tuesday afternoon, winning 9-5. Coach Brandon Johnson was pleased with the team’s win against the Eagles.

“It gives us a little confidence,” Johnson said. “I think Los Altos beat us twice last year, so we definitely wanted to come in and beat them today.”

The game started with the Eagles winning the first sprint, but the Vikings wasted no time and Matt Abbott (‘14) scored the first goal of the game after an assist from Sam Kelley (‘14). Following several missed shots from both the Vikings and the Eagles, Kelley scored his first goal of the game off a pass from goalie Jake Weinstein (‘14), allowing the Vikings to end the first quarter with a 2-0 lead over the Eagles.

The Vikings lost the second quarter sprint, but were able to prevail with Kelley scoring his second goal of the afternoon, followed by Will Mendenhall (‘14) finding the back of the net for his first goal of the game. Following a timeout and a missed shot by the Eagles, Mendenhall scored his second goal of the game. Los Altos found the net for their first and only goal of the half, bringing the first half score to 5-1, with the Vikings maintaining their lead over the Eagles.

Both teams came back strong after the half, with the Eagles winning the third quarter sprint. After missing their first two shots, the Eagles were able to score off a third. The Vikings were quick to respond, with Kelley scoring his third and final goal of the game. The quarter ended with Kelley taking an unsuccessful five meter shot, ending the quarter with the Vikings leading 6-2.

The fourth and final quarter started with the Eagles winning the sprint and scoring two fast goals. Lucas Novak (‘15) responded, scoring his first goal of the game. The Vikings received another five meter shot, but Andrew Jozefov’s (‘15) shot was blocked by the Eagles’ goalie.

Following two timeouts, Ethan Look (‘14) was able to find the net for his first goal of the game, followed by JJ Kadifa (‘14) scoring the final goal of the game. The Vikings maintained their lead and the game ended with the Vikings winning 9-5.

Johnson praised the team for their defensive efforts that lead to their win.

“I think we played great, today was our best defensive game all year by far,” Johnson said. “It was a good team win.”

Look echoed Johnson praise and has high hopes for the rest of their upcoming season.

“As a team we played excellent,” Look said. “We’re pumped, were 5-1 in leagues this year and 15-3 overall, we’re coming into the second half with a positive attitude. We’ve got Gunn of Thursday and we want to play a big game against them and see if we can take back a win they took from us. We’re coming back stronger and harder than we’ve ever come back before.”

The Vikings will take on the Gunn Titans this Thursday at Gunn.

Lucas Novak (’15) draws a foul.