Baseball wins 3-0 over Homestead behind Chang throwing a two-hit shutout – The Viking Magazine
MENU

Baseball wins 3-0 over Homestead behind Chang throwing a two-hit shutout

Bryan Look

On Wednesday, Baseball moved to 7-0 in league play by beating Homestead at home, 3-0, lead by starting pitcher Ryan Chang (‘17) throwing a two-hit shutout.

Baseball came into this season with lofty expectations, but struggled to find their groove as they lost two of their first three games. Since then, Paly has caught fire, going 11-1 behind a hot pitching staff. After Chang’s impressive day, Paly’s pitchers have now allowed just two runs in their last four games and no more than three runs in a game in their last 11 games.

Wednesday against Homestead, Chang was dominant from the beginning and faced just two over the minimum in the entire game as he struck out six and didn’t walk a batter.

Having seen Chang pitch so well early in the game, it became clear that the Vikings would only need to get a couple of runs on the board to win the game. They did just that in the bottom of the third as Max Jung-Goldberg (‘18) scored on an RBI double by Niko Lillios (‘18). Lillios then scored as the very next hitter, Ben Cleasby (‘17) singled him home.

The Vikings would tack on another run late in the game and went on to win 3-0.

“It’s really easy to pitch when I have such a solid defense behind me,” Chang said. “All I have to focus on is throwing strikes.”

Paly will look to keep their hot streak going at Homestead on Friday at 4 o’clock.

“We’re just hitting our stride as a team right now,” Chang said. “We have finally found our rhythm as a team, but we need to keep getting better and can’t be content with where we are right now.”

About the Writer
Bryan Look, Editor-in-Chief

Bryan Look is a Palo Alto High School senior who has been a part of Viking for two and a half years, serving as editor-in-chief for the last year. He has also been Viking’s head beat writer for baseball and basketball the last two years. Bryan was also the captain of the Boys’ Varsity Water Polo team and is a 2-time SCVAL all-league Water Polo nominee. His go-to pre-game food is applesauce, and he likes to listen to “Till I Collapse” by Eminem before games.